Thursday, April 30, 2009

Henry Hall, beloved family pooch, passed away today


Thank you for clicking on this post and thank you for reading it. It is still fresh, what happened, but I will do my best here to explain.

Henry Hall, Best.Dog.Ever., passed this afternoon.

It was a good death, as death goes. I was holding him while he passed. And for this I am eternally grateful. I have a few things going for me in this regard, being able to help my dog on his way out, I am a Mom, a Nurse and a HIS HUMAN. I am so thankful I could lead him on the way out, like I had lead him on so many walks.

It was really sudden and really out of the blue, his death. I was not expecting it today. When I let him outside to do his 3 oclock business, he took about three steps out the door and promptly layed down. His breathing got all puffy and labored.

I stroked his head, listened to his breathing change and well, stroked his head and told him it was ok, everything was fine, he was alright, he was ok. And I massaged his ears and jowls. His pupils blew. I prayed to God. I said, God, please take Henry so he won't feel anymore pain, let him pass peacefully. I thanked God for sending us Henry, because he was the best dog, he loved us and we loved him. He made our family so much richer, we are a better family for having had him in our lives. I thanked God for this too.

And so passed on my lap, out in the warm spring sun, in the back yard. It was perfect. I am so humbled by it. And I feel so blessed to have been there, to be able to help him. To be witness.

Because death, like birth, is a miracle.

So let's raise a glass this weekend, to the mighty and gentle Henry Hall, may he be slobbering all over the other doggies in the great dog park in the sky.

Next week, you get more pictures of the mighty and gentle Henry Hall. Now, if you'll excuse me, I feel like i've been run over by a truck. I'm off to weep and sob, all snot bubble ugly cry and feel sad. It's a good sad though, thankful sad even. :) Take care all.

25 Left a message at the beep:

Holly said...

My Dear Holly:
I breathed out, "ohhh," as I read this. I feel your sadness. I feel your contentment in having been there with your dog as he left you. I feel it. I've been there five times to do the same.

I feel you.

I wish I could hug you. I just found you and read just a few days ago about your tears over Henry so like you, I am caught off guard over this sudden loss.

I feel you. And, your family. You will be all right, I know. But, geeze, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mrs. Hall said...

Yeah, thanks Holly. :) take care of you :)

Verdant Earl said...

Very, very sucky.

We recently lost a "best ever" pet as well, so I feel for you. He died in front of us, in Gia's arms as well. While I'm glad we had a few last moments with him, I almost wish we weren't there. Especially G.

I will most certainly raise a glass or twelve to the great Henry Hall this weekend. You have my word.

Mrs. Hall said...

Thanks Earl :) I am glad I was there though, it was peaceful and I am so thankful I had the chance to be with him. Take care and have fun this weekend :)

Kate said...

Hugs for Holly and the Halls and Henry, the best dog ever. How wonderful you were there for him.
Now, I must get a tissue.

Big Pissy said...

Oh, Holly....I am so, so sorry. I am, however, glad for you and Henry that you were able to be with him..holding him..loving on him...when he went.

I'll be thinking of you and your family.

{{{hugs}}}

Mrs. Hall said...

Thanks Pissy :) Hugs back atya :)

Slyde said...

im so sorry, hon.

in the past 10 years ive been there for the end for my favorite dog, and my kitten, and both times were gut-wrenching... my prayers are with you..

Mrs. Hall said...

Thanks Slyde :) I do appreciate it. :)

Mrs. Hall said...

Kate: Hugs back atya, and use all the tissues ya need. After all, he was worth it! :)

Cam said...

Oh Mrs...

I know that you, and your family, brought Henry love, good times, and comfort. Just as he did you.

May he be run free & play in the eternal sunshine.

Lots of love to you & yours.

Dear Henry,
When you come across a grey fella named Bo, make friends with him, he is a good peep to know.

James said...

Sorry to hear about Henry but glad that you were there with him. It probably doesn't get any better for a dog than to go that way. And, at least you didn't have to make the horrible decision to have to put him down before he was ready to go.

Mrs. Hall said...

Cam and James: Thank you guys, and I'll let Henry know to look for Bo :)

Thanks James, your very kind :)

the queen said...

That sounds like the best way to go, after saying goodbye to two dogs on the vets cold metal table.

Mrs. Hall said...

Word up Ellen, word. Take care :)

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I am so sorry
About the friend you lost
On the sorrowful day
I can never say anything
That would sway
What you felt on that day
To make it better
No rhyme or reasoning can help
Except that I hope, you are
Ok

Mrs. Hall said...

AH did you write that for me Mr. Blue? Thank you for writing it or even just sending it :) Yes, I am ok, and really the depth of sad and ugly cry is in proportion to what he was and what he meant to us. Honors him to cry and be sad, also honors him to start to heal too. Well on my way ;)

thanks

Kim said...

I'm so sorry, but am glad that you were with him when he went. I have been through it twice before and it is awful.

I hope this helps, even a little....

We Have A Secret

We have a secret, you and I, that no one else shall know,
For who but I can see you lie each night in fire glow?
And who but I can reach my hand before we go to bed
And feel the living warmth of you And touch your silken head?
And only I walk woodland paths and see ahead of me,
Your small form racing with the wind so young again, and free.
And only I can see you swim in every brook I pass
And when I call, no one but I can see the bending grass.

Mrs. Hall said...

Kim: That was a lovely peom, oh thank you! take care (sniff sniff) :)

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

Holly yes I wrote it...we poets do that you know. Here is a warm cyber hug for you. ((((Hug))))

Mrs. Hall said...

you have inspired me to write a peom, so let's see what happens!

Dr Zibbs said...

That's too bad. My dog is getting old and I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

Caz said...

Ah man.. that is just so sad and so beautiful.

Hank said...

Oh, Mrs. Hall. I am so dreadfully sorry you lost your dear friend. My brother, King, an Alaskan Malamute, died in our backyard on a beautiful, sunny day, too. While it's never easy, it does make a huge difference when our humans are with us when it's our time to go to The Bridge.

Big hugs and licks -

Becca

Hank said...

Oh, Mrs. Hall. I am so very sorry about your dear Henry. My brother, King - an Alaskan Malamute - also died in our yard on a beautiful, sunny day with mother right beside him. It's never easy but it helps when our best friends are with us when it's our time to go to The Bridge.

Big hugs and licks -

Becca

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...