Wednesday, September 21, 2011

hand-foot-mouth

That up there, is my daughter's snake. It's a corn snake. She loves Sunset with all of her big, big heart. She named him Sunset because the clouds at sunset are pink. That's my hand though.


But, this post is not about Sunset.

It's about this one time, about 10 years ago, I was driving to the doctor's office because my hands were itching something fierce. I was a wee CNA (nurse's assistant) at the time. I worked at a nursing home, helping the elderly.

SO-I'm driving to the doctor's office, literally rubbing my hands on the steering wheel as I drove. My arms and neck itched too. I was living in this old house, renting the top floor while I went to nursing school. There was NO air conditioning in the house. It was summer, so the temps were in the 90's most days. Sticky hot.

Mr. Hall would visit on weekends. We slept on this old, scratchy, pull out couch. We'd wake up in a hamster pile in the sunken center. Cupfuls of sweat would pool under his Adam's apple. It was miserable.

I think about this and I think, wow, Mr. Hall really loved me. He drove two hours to see me on those weekends. All to sleep in a horrible, scratchy, broken, pull out couch. :)

So of course I would have a heat rash from the couch.

Turns out, it was hand-foot-mouth disease. Google it if you want. Go ahead, I'll wait.

GROSS RIGHT???!!!

Totally contagious too. Which is why I got it working at nursing home. I also picked up scabies from there too. Working at hospitals and nursing homes is dangerous business. Lots of closeness, lots of shared, lots of hosts for viruses and such to thrive.

I was thinking about this today, as I am running a fever and have a sore throat. The kids are back in school. Which is why we've been sick the last week. Kids are vectors.

YET

The thing is, Mr. Hall never once caught anything I ever caught. He never gets sick from anything we ever have. Or. . . maybe he doesn't complain about it :)


4 Left a message at the beep:

Anonymous said...

His immune system is amazing. T picked up HFM once. I itch enough without viral help.

Verdant Earl said...

I thought it was called Hoof and Mouth disease? Or is that just for livestock? ;)

Anonymous said...

Clearly, Mr. Hall needs to be studied for his super-human immunity... GET IT TOGETHER, SCIENCE! ;)

Yes, school's are one gigantic Petri dish. Blech!

While they're studying Mr. Hall, they need to study me too, cause I never got the Chicken Pox. No vaccine, either!

Hope you feel better soon!

Rebecka said...

I hardly ever get sick, although I do suffer from foot in mouth disease quite frequently.

Feel better soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...